Sustainability Update - Field Trip Findings Discussed with AidenvironmentShare This
This week’s update will be all about our progress in addressing the requirements of our RSPO Certification suspension and, more importantly, our onward journey towards more transparent and inclusive engagements with all our stakeholders.
1. At the 2nd follow-up meeting with Aidenvironment, on 29 April, 2016, in Bogor Indonesia, IOI proceeded to discuss the findings and recommendations of Global Environment Center (GEC) related to the Action Plans.
- The IOI Estate Team has commenced water management and enrichment planting of indigenous species in the peat area immediately.
- Other recommended activities that IOI will undertake include actions, guidance, control mechanism and flowcharts to enhance the peat restoration works, HCV rehabilitation and fire prevention.
- On the legal compliance issues raised in the complaint, AsM Law, our appointed legal advisor, is to update IOI’s management systems on Legal compliance to ensure that it is robust and comprehensive. This activity is scheduled to be completed in the month of May 2016.
On the whole, the meeting ended with all the Action Plans agreed by all parties involved with some minor notes. GEC will visit our site again on the 22 May 2016 for further field verification and to check on completed actions.
4. Proforest will advise IOI on how to further enhance the implementation of our sustainability policy commitments throughout the Group.
As always, IOI Group would like to reiterate that we remain dedicated to all necessary actions (both corrective and forward-looking) to demonstrate our continued commitment to building a world class oil palm business, based on our published sustainability principles of no deforestation, no planting on peat, zero-burning on all new planting and re-planting of oil palm, and to drive positive socio-economic impact for people and communities.
For further information, please contact:
Dr Surina Ismail
Group Head of Sustainability
IOI Corporation Berhad
Tel: +603-8947 8888 (ext. 6841)
6th May, 2016